I learned TWO new stitches yesterday thanks to the wonderful tutorials on You tube so I wanted to briefly share this with you?
Having searched the Rave;ry pattern catalogue for a Shrug pattern and found there were 1488 to look at, I did see a nice Solomon's knot one: there's a free pattern for this as well as one you have to pay for. But first I needed to learn this stitch which I have much admired but never attempted before.
THIS is the video tutorial I used;
She is really good and if you watch first and then copy while you watch it's really easy!
The only difficulty lies in keeping the loops the same size. But then another video showed you to keep the loop on your thumb so it stays the size of your thumb wrap consistently but that makes quite small loops depending on your thumb of course!
This was my first sample, the shrug I will make in this is the DENIM blue cotton viscose from Drops bought online from Woolwarehouse?
I choose from these 3 lovely colours but the denim best matched the new dance dress from York.
Hence the need for a lacy cotton and viscose shrug!
Still I was also thinking of the dark purple dupion silk panel bodice and satin panel skirt ball-dress that is still lurking in my mentalm pictures and which I may still make in time for next Saturday? Will I? Won't I? Not so sure but I have the blue grey roses as a back-up plan in any case.
For the purple gown I was thinking a flower lattice shrug...?
This is a stitch I have attempted many years ago from a chart and I messed up well and truly.
Had to abandon it in the end but that's against my nature so I was very keen to have another go, this time with the aid of technology: i.e.: YOUTUBE!
Below is the link I used to learn it and learn it I did!
This is my lattice sample:
And in deep purple: I estimated I'd need about 15 flowers for elbow length shrug and I'm using a 4.5mm hook. The 4mm I tried made it too tight.
Finally my own experimental pattern:From a discounted Lanna Grossa ball from KNOTTEN , I made a bobble bow on the ferry home:
I decreased a bit and worked plain dc in the middle then increased and worked the other half mirror image. Sewn onto a hairclip with yarn warps at the centre.